It’s Christmas Eve. If you aren’t working and running about town trying to find a last minute gift that won’t suck, go sit and have a nice beer or two. That’s my plan.
- I agree with this column for the most part. David Landeros (awesome photo by the way) is right that the brewers who have sold out should not be hated for selling their business at a fair market value. I continue to say that AB isn’t walking in Godfather style and making them an offer they can’t refuse. They haven’t purchased a brewer who wasn’t already looking to sell. He also points out the reason that I dislike the big brewers: they are making widgets. Beer isn’t important to them, selling their product is important. They don’t care what it tastes like as long as they can make I cheap and sell it at a ridiculous markup.
- I like this Toronto Sun article about NC beer because it takes you on quick tours of the Charlotte and Triangle beer scenes. So much of NC beer culture (at least to the outside world) is bound up in Asheville. I have no problem with that. In fact, I’ll be spending a few days in Asheville next week on a long weekend. However, sometimes the other beer centers get short shrift and this remedies that even just a little bit.
- Here is author Jeff Alworth with an end of year wrap up on All About Beer magazine. I agree with most of what he writes here. I was initially surprised that cider sales slipped this year, but that is because the ciders the big companies released were crap and people stopped buying them. Also, buy Alworth’s book.
- If you want to know about the beer scene in the Asheville, NC-Greenville, SC go read Tony Kiss. Here is his year-end round up for SC beer.
- I am linking to this to get five articles. I just question how Delta wins this serving that swill.