Welcome to Monday. You survived the weekend and if you are in North Carolina that is no small feat with temperatures hitting over 95 degrees. On to the beer articles.
- Honestly once I read this article, the only interesting thing I found was the wine kiosk story. This was an insane idea. Insert your ID, look into a camera so that someone in Harrisburg looks at your face and compares it to the ID, and then use the breathalyzer so that the state employee in Harrisburg can confirm you aren’t drunk. Shockingly the system experienced lots of breakdowns and was phased out within a year.
- Here is an excerpt from John Hickenlooper’s memoir The Opposite of Woe: My Life in Beer And Politics. He seems like a decent and good guy. That kind of means this is probably going to be a very boring and non-revelatory book. Honestly, books like this are much more interesting when the subject is a bit of a jerk.
- This is a nice primer on sour beers from USA Today. The writer breaks down kettle-souring, Berliner Weisse, and gose. I really liked the kettle-souring section. It did a great job of breaking down why kettle souring came about. The best part of the Berliner Weisse section is the entrance of Napoleon. This is a good read for those just entering into the world of sours.
- Normally I would say the equivalent of over $8 for a pint of beer less than 1% ABW (in this case) is price gouging at its finest. However, after the scenes in Marseille, last week between Russian fans, English fans, and Marseille Ultras both inside and outside the stadium tells me that may not be a bad idea. One reason I don’t like going to football games is I don’t like drunk people. I love people who drink. What bothers me are the people who think getting falling down drunk is fun. Those are the ones who want to start fights and get belligerent towards others for very little reason. I have very little patience for those people.
- This is kind of interesting in that you get a picture of how to actually buy a case of Westvleteren 12 straight from the source. However, it is also a picture of all the arrogance and privilege that everyone hates about Americans. I’m just going to show up and you’re going to give me what I want because I’m such a great guy.