Normally, the Five Articles aren’t really work. There is usually a good bullpen of stories that I just go through, read, and link. Today was actually like work. Here are five articles.
- Is anyone shocked that AB-Inbev is involved in a price fixing scandal? I think of them like anyone who drives on interstates a lot. It isn’t if you have driven over the speed limit, it is if you have been caught driving over the speed limit.
- German beer is kind of like CBS procedural dramas. They are all well-made and consistent. Every time you open one up, you know exactly what you are going to get. They are spectacular in the unspectacular nature. You will never go out of business being good like that, but you will also never innovate or grow. By the way, I love the New Albion reference.
- The Onion had to take over AdAge for this to be published. Except I know the depths of what AB-Inbev will go to in order to make money.
- Again, why is anyone surprised at what AB-InBev will do?
- This is not a story about beer, but it is a story many new breweries should note. Krispy Kreme was the hottest thing in food for a minute a few years ago. The powers that be at Krispy Kreme got swept up in the frenzy and expanded at a ridiculous rate and went public. Then the bottom fell out when people decided eating deep fried dough covered in melted sugar wasn’t the healthiest thing in the world. They misread the market and forgot who they were and who their customers were. Many new breweries are popping up and getting mad love from their local public and are going to expand probably a little too much too soon.