Tuesday and it is going to over 80 degrees today. I predict a busy afternoon and evening for me. Onto the Five Articles.
- ABInbev is moving around money and brands to make their SABMiller purchase palatable for European regulators. Anyone with a lick of sense knows they are only selling off these brands because they expect a 10-fold recoup in profits from these brands with the ones they purchased in the merger.
- Speaking of ABInbev, this article lays out many of the things they are doing to complete their domination of the beer market. I am just tired of breweries getting purchased by AB or another big brewer and claiming they, “will maintain a high level of autonomy” when they know that is maybe true for the first 12-18 months, but that will change. It’s common sense in which you need no business acumen to understand that, that is a total line of bull intended to placate the breweries fans.
- Fight the power! I think Brewvies will probably lose this fight, but it will be fun to watch them try.
- I really tried. I tried to like hard root beer. I really did. However, all of them are bad. They are too thick and sickeningly sweet. I agree with a lot of what is in this review. This statement is true, but I don’t understand it, “It’s a drink for people who want to get drunk but don’t like the taste of beer, or cider, or wine — or alcohol in general.” These people don’t want to get drunk, they just want to get little twisted but are too scared to go buy marijuana.
- These are drinks for people who like craft beer, but don’t want to get blind drunk on 2 beers. I know there are a few in the craft beer critical community who don’t like the name “session beer.” However, the concept is old and venerated in the beer community. The whole idea of pub culture is based on low ABV beers enjoyed over many hours.