It is Monday. My goal besides a little writing is to imitate Steve Smith in the Amazon Alexa commercial. “She rounds down.” My day will probably include a little writing, a lot of reading, and a lot of sitting on the couch until 9 pm. Then I’ll be glued to TBS. Onto the Five Articles.
- More crappy alcoholic beverages that don’t taste like alcohol. Just what the world needs. The worst of these are the bourbons that don’t taste like bourbon.
- For a governor who ran on the idea that he would bring businesses to North Carolina, Gov. McCrory seems to do things that are the opposite of that a lot.
- For those of you who don’t watch soccer as much as I do, Leicester City winning the Premier League this season is kind of like the Minnesota Twins winning the World Series this year. It is a team with not a lot of money jumping from a barely avoiding relegation to 1st place in one season. Too bad their owner gave away a bunch of crappy beer to celebrate.
- I’m tired of the concept of selling out. 20 years ago, Ballast Point was a homebrew supply shop. Constellation Brands offered them a billion dollars. I have lived a life where money has never been an important part of my decision making and I still believe that it should not be the overarching factor in you finding happiness. However, if some magazine or website came to me and offered me the equivalent of $1 billion for the Beer Counselor name and blog, I would do it without blinking and start another blog.
- The number of veteran-owned breweries that have grown up in the last few years is awesome. My personal favorite is Rail House out of Laurinburg, NC. Their best-known beer is the Ka-Bar Brown which has the coolest tap handle in beer.