It is a snowy Friday. Let me take that back and explain to people not from North Carolina what is going on here. There is maybe 3 inches of snow on the ground. That isn’t the problem. The problem is the sleet and freezing rain that follows and then the fact that the melting snow will freeze again tonight. Also, the reason we don’t plow the roads is we don’t have enough snow plows because this happens maybe twice a year in this part of the state. Anyway, here is some beer news.
- You know craft beer has made it to significant public importance when politicians feel the need to pander to craft beer drinkers. By the way, Kasich is one of the people responsible for writing some of these laws, but let’s not quibble over details like facts and truth.
- Now if Gov. Cuomo can get these changes passed in New York, these would probably be the first significant and wholesale changes in any state’s alcohol laws since maybe the 1970s and probably since states passed laws from 1933 through the 1950s making alcohol legal after the end of Prohibition.
- This is a good explanation of why our beer choices are so random and weird right now. Most of the beers noted here come out in late fall and early winter and center around Christmas flavors. The next round that comes out are the weird porters and barrel aged stouts that drop from the start of January through Valentine’s day. Personally, I love big dark beers with flavors of coffee, chocolate, and aged in bourbon barrels and will drink them year around. So this is my time to stock up.
- The most powerful lobby in almost every state are the alcohol distributors. There is a distributor in every part of every state and they make lots of money and they use that money to gain influence in any bill that may affect their bottom line. That is why the Georgia law written and passed last year is such a mess and why passing a new law will be so hard.
- The first and pretty much the only time I’ve ever bet on a game was a Super Bowl that occurred when I was in elementary school. I bet a guy $1 that my team would win. I don’t think I really understood what that meant because when my team lost and I was informed I owed him a $1 I remember thinking that was a stupid way to lose money. Ever since I’ve felt betting on anything was akin to taking my money and lighting it on fire. Subsequently, I don’t bet anything on anything. I’m not 100 percent sure the sun will rise tomorrow so why would I bet anything on a football game. At least, this is a fun wager that will hopefully result in really good beer.