Here is some advice for newspapers and news aggregator sites: Calm the fuck down with all the ads. There have been times where I have found an interesting article on a website and planned to put it in the Five Articles, but it keeps loading and loading and loading and hitting me with a pop ad, a questionnaire, a video that auto loads, etc. So, I read the article and try to find a cleaner version of the same article from a different website just so anyone clicking on this doesn’t have to deal with it. Anyway, here are the Five Articles: The Return.
- We have now reached historic levels of breweries in the US. Most of them are good, some of them are crap, and some of them are great. You should live close enough to one to drive over today after work and have a pint or two.
- Here is a nice write-up on the NC Craft Brewers Conference in Winston-Salem. The most interesting part is the section about how the current influx of outside money is affecting how and why brewers start their breweries.
- This is an article about the history of Chicago craft brewing. It is confusingly written and very self-referential, but it is also a good primer on Chicago brewing if that interests you.
- The funny thing about the explosion of hard root beers from this past spring and summer is that it was a fad that has passed. Talking to a few reps, the bottom has fallen out of that segment of the market and from personal experience the stuff isn’t moving off the shelves at all.
- This is being the United States, of course, someone is going to sue to stop the merger. That is the American way. If you don’t like something, sue.