As my body gets used to my new schedule, the Five Articles have been coming out a little later. Today’s five includes two articles on the big purchase from a couple of days ago. These are well-written articles that are not silly screeds against big beer and selling out. Don’t worry, I’ve read too many. Kick back and take a road trip that goes from Raleigh to Durango to Petaluma to London to Amsterdam. Enjoy.
- Let’s get this out of the way, the business view of the Lagunitas deal. It still has a bit of the, “How could they sell out like that” to it, but it manages to put that feeling in the context of the total deal.
- This article sums up what all this deal really means with its final sentence. Truly, “Anyway, you’ll probably be able to get a decent IPA in Amsterdam soon. That’s really the news here.” The ability for Lagunitas to be able to sell fresh IPAs in Europe without having to build production facilities is a win, win for Lagunitas and European beer drinkers.
- As a UNC graduate (Class of 1996), I’ve said many things about NC State. However, one of those things is that it is a great engineering and scientific research university. Now they are developing ways for brewers to improve the consistency of beer through yeast management. This is a very good thing.
- There isn’t anything weird or out of the ordinary in this story. I just like it.
- That great thing about this is I didn’t know it was from a London website when I clicked on it. It is a good list and includes a couple of British bees I’ve not heard of until now.