There was some big news in craft beer yesterday. That’s as much as I want to talk about it. This isn’t because I don’t think it is important. It is because everyone in the craft beer blogosphere is commenting on it. Here are today’s Five Articles.
- The reason I believe craft beer is more than just a trend is the culture and adjacent businesses that are growing up around the actual craft beer. Businesses like this one are the reason craft beer isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.
- I said I wouldn’t talk about, but here is an article about a crappy beer company buying a 50% stake in a good beer company.
- The labyrinth of laws that govern alcohol in this country are confusing and counterproductive in many cases. To be clear, these laws were written with the best of intentions. However, they have not responded to a changing landscape. That is not unexpected since the beer business landscape has changed so fast. The three-tier system is not inherently bad. It just needs to shift with the times.
- Pumpkin beers have been on the shelves for 3 weeks. Here is a short history of pumpkin beer.
- The only beer trip outside of the US that I want to go on is to Belgium. The breadth of beers that are so different from the German and British traditions that having the opportunity to wander around that small country and drink the beer fresh is one of my long-term goals.