It’s Wednesday. That means once you get past today, the week is almost over. Here are a few links to entertain and inform you as you navigate the rest of the day.
- First up, comes a story out of Chicago about how craft brewers and many in the craft community see it as a community. It isn’t just a trendy thing to be a part of, but it is a lifestyle that prides itself on its locality. Where with wine the terroir is how the environment shapes the taste of the grapes, craft beer is how the beer and the people who drink it can shape and protect the environment around it.
- The part that most interests me about this article is that Kentucky does not allow self-distribution at all. There is no cap. There is not self-distribution. You either make beer, distribute beer, or sell beer. Now, to the specifics of this story, the main issue with AB owning distributorships is that they only distribute their own beer. So, if two of the largest distributors in your state only distribute beer from one brewer that is patently unfair. We call those monopolies.
- For those wondering why the legislative and legal fights over beer are becoming so heated in this country, this article will explain. As is always the case, follow the money. Beer contributed almost $253 billion to the US economy last year. The industry also helps farmers and generates tax revenue. Craft beer is a lifestyle, but never forget it is a business also.
- Here is a good primer on how each ingredient effects the taste of beer and how using fresh ingredients makes the beer taste better.
- How does a British travel journalist see Asheville? Here is your answer. One of the things that makes me happy about this article is the writer highlighted Pisgah Brewing and its Pale Ale. Sometimes, the people closest to a thing forget how good it is. All Pisgah does is consistently make a really flavorful and drinkable pale ale. No crazy names or flavors, just a good beer. Also, it’s John Mellancamp. He stopped using Cougar like 30 years ago. Finally, why does this guy care so much about Owen Wilson?