There were a lot of good articles today. Even the ones that tell you what the next big thing in beer is were good. Though I can’t tell if the next big thing is cellaring and storing beer or root beer or low ABV beers. I’m glad I have a lot of newspapers and news-sites looking for clicks to tell me these things though. Here are my picks.
- This is the only story you’ll read today that actually discusses something that will affect what beers you will have available, what they will taste like and how much they will cost. This is a just a good reminder that beer is an agricultural product and as such is affected by the whims of nature.
- Who makes your beer may not change in the future, but who owns the building it’s made in, who owns the equipment used, and who owns the name of the beer may change in the future. There are a lot of mid-level breweries out there that are ripe for buyouts, mergers, and takeovers. This is actually the next big thing in craft brewing.
- There are two cities in the US who we all need to see succeed. They have both been devastated by things outside of their control: One the cratering of the industry that built it and the other by a hurricane. They have also been victims of corruption and incompetence at the highest levels of their government. So, any stories about Detroit or New Orleans that is good news is always welcome here. Here is one on the Detroit brewing scene.
- This is a cool little article about some basic beer stuff. It even has a video to show you how to actually pour a beer.
- Here is another article telling you how great Asheville is as a beer city. It’s not that I disagree with the assessment, it’s just that I don’t want it to get too crowded. The writer hits all the high points and mentions some other places you should try.