Fridays are a slow news day. The pickins were slim for the links, but I persevered and made it through. Here are five good articles.
- Everything you ever wanted to know about hops, but were afraid to ask in a quick blog post from Stone Brewing.
- A snap shot of the growing Scottish craft beer industry. Scotland craft beer seems to be in the same place craft beer was in the United States in the 80s: In the midst of figuring out who we are and what is possible.
- Is Pliny the Elder that good or is has the difficulty in obtaining it made it seem that good? It was named Zymurgy’s Best Beer for the 7th year in a row. I’m always fascinated by the reaction of people when one of these hard to get beers has their release. Don’t get me wrong, they are almost always great beers, but the reaction of the beer buying public is almost always over the top. As someone who sells beer as a retailer I don’t mind it, but on the other hand as a person who observes the world it is fascinating to see people flock in to buy a beer they barely know the name of just because they read about it on some blog.
- One of my favorite things, a local story about a local craft brewery. Being able to go to a brewery in your own town maybe how the craft industry survives the next crash or at least slow down. At some point, just like in the 90s, the breweries that opened as money grabs by venture capitalists or dream projects by home brewers with no business sense will start to close. The difference from the 90s to now is I think craft beer has become such a part of the culture of many places that it won’t almost disappear again.
- Here is an interactive quiz about craft beer in Asheville. Its quick and it is easy. I went 8 for 8. This is kind of what I meant in the above bullet point. In places like Asheville, Portland, and Denver, craft beer is part of the identity of the city. That is extending to places like Charlotte, San Diego, and other points in between. Becoming part of the fabric of the culture will keep the whole thing from collapsing when the slow down occurs.