A quick hit links for today.
- Just because you don’t like a beer doesn’t mean the beer is bad. Sometimes you just don’t like the style of beer you’re drinking. Sometimes people mistake their palate for everyone elses. One of the things I do in my reviews if I’m tasting a beer I don’t like, is make it clear that it is my palate and not necessarily the beer that has the problem.
- One of the cooler things about this current moment in craft beer is watching all the other businesses pop up around the industry. From bars, to magazines, to brewery tours, to soap, the industry is becoming more then just beer. It is morphing into a lifestyle.
- Speaking of the industry growing up around craft beer, even brewers themselves are developing tasting rooms to highlight their beer. Two of the best and most adventurous examples of this are Sierra Nevada and Stone Brewing who have developed excellent restaurants next to their breweries.
- Craft beer is a booming business. However, this type of growth cannot continue indefinitely. I think we will reach another moment, like we did in the 90s, when the number of breweries opening up outstrips the demand for the product. That was combined with a lowering of quality and standards as so many new breweries came on line. Those with the best business plans and most consistent products survived and the others disappeared.
- Here is a fun little infographic list about the history of beer.