It’s Friday. That fact should make most of you happy.
- One of the open secrets about making beer is that brewers use massive amounts of water and burn through massive amounts of raw product. The good thing is that most brewers work to find a way to reuse and recycle as much of the water and other product as they can. From the buildings most new breweries repurpose as breweries to the spent grain brewers are finding many uses for, brewers are trying to find ways to be as environmentally friendly as possible. Boulevard Brewing is even figuring out ways to make money doing it.
- The current governor of North Carolina and most its other top politicians have spent the last year or so touting North Carolina as pro-business. They have tried to streamline the legislative agenda to eliminate as many social issues as possible and focus on finding as many tax revenue streams as possible. Yet, this group of politicians allowed a bill that would help expand one of North Carolina’s fastest growing business segments, craft brewing, die in committee because an older business segment, distributors, didn’t like it. To that I will just say, craft beer accounted for $6.5 billion to the California economy last year.
- I like this idea. Of course, any idea whose basis is, quit bitching and complaining about what someone else did to insult you. Do something about it. Craft brewers have managed to organize themselves enough to have a pretty powerful trade organization, The Brewers Association. They should be able to get it together long enough to create a 6 month to a yearlong advertising campaign to counter anything the big brewers can do on their own.
- If you are going to stick your middle finger up at people offended by the name and artwork on your beer label by holding the release party in a strip club, don’t act like it’s just their fault if they get offended. Own your misogyny and oafishness. Own it.
- If you are going to read this review, you need to have this song playing in the background. RIP MCA.