No theme today, just a few good reads
- This first one is a sad one, Beer Army is closing its brewery operations. This is a great little brewery and I will be sad to see its beer go. This just shows how much the craft beer scene in North Carolina has changed. There were 30 breweries when Beer Army started, now there are over 120 operating or in planning. This also shows why the distribution laws are so odious.
- Speaking of which, here is a twofer on the NC legislation I’ve been highlighting all week. This is from the Charlotte Agenda and this is from Creative Loafing.
- Here is a little beer science for you from The Verge Magazine and Russian River Brewing. Using DNA testing to find bacteria that spoils beer warms my sci-fi loving heart.
- Paste Magazine does a lot of fine beer writing and rankings. This is their rankings of the top 39 American wheat beers. I won’t spoil it for you by telling you who is number 1.
- To balance out the bad news at the top here is feel good story from Imbibe Magazine about how beer is beginning to gain terroir (fancy wine word for local flavor) by using more and more locally grown ingredients, especially malt grain. I love the farm to table movement and I’m glad craft beer is becoming an integral part of it.
Coming up this evening will be the first Growler Tasting and Review. Stay tuned.